CITY OF ATLANTA
PUBLIC DEFENDER’S OFFICE
The Municipal Court Public Defender’s Office was created by Charter and became :
- Guaranteeing due process for all through zealous advocacy in the courtroom and appeals to higher courts to correct judicial errors when necessary.
- operational in 1975 pursuant to Argersinger v. Hamlin, 407 U.S. 25 (1972), and mandated to provide legal representation in the Atlanta Municipal Court for those persons who cannot afford an attorney and who are entitled to legal defense at public expense pursuant to the constitution of the United States of Georgia.
- The overall mission of the Public Defender’s Office is to provide high quality legal representation as efficiently and economically as possible, while maintaining the confidence of clients that they are receiving competent and skilled representation.
The Office of the Public Defender envisions a model advocacy program for indigent clients seek out our services because of our reputation for delivering the following services:
- Protecting the liberty of the accused, treating each and every case with an equal degree of concern, compassion and commitment;
- Championing the constitutional rights of the accused and challenge the state to meet its burden of proof in each and every case and situation;
Links of Interest
Public Defender Services
Directions to Office
Frequently Asked Questions
Fulton County Public Defender
Fulton County Conflict Attorney
City of Atlanta
Public Defenders Office
The Lenwood A. Jackson, Jr. Justice Center
150 Garnett Street, SW
Atlanta, Georgia 30303
Last updated: 9/20/2012 3:55:29 PM