I am humbled and honored to be selected by the citizens of Atlanta to serve as your Mayor for a second term.
Our team accomplished a great deal in my first four years in office:
- We kept the Atlanta Falcons in the City of Atlanta, where they belong, and continue working to maximize the new stadium’s potential for economic growth in neighboring communities.
- We grew our cash reserves from $7.4 million to $126 million and improved our bond ratings across the board.
- We have reduced major crime by 17 percent and grown our police force to 2,000 officers, the largest in our history.
- We reformed our pension obligations; to not only ensure the long-term wellbeing of our employees, but also to free money for much-needed improvements in other areas.
- We ensured fire trucks are fully-staffed with four firefighters, and improved our ISO ratings, leading to better insurance rates for all.
- We opened an international terminal at Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport that will ensure our airport maintains its status as the world’s busiest.
- We re-opened shuttered recreation centers and turned them into “Centers of Hope,” to make sure our children spend their time constructively.
- We’ve welcomed major corporations into our borders, including Porsche Cars of North America, Pulte Homes and AthenaHealth.
Simply put, the City of Atlanta is moving in the right direction. I’m proud of our accomplishments, but we’ve only just begun. In the next four years, we will begin to tackle our city’s $900 million infrastructure backlog - ensuring that our roads, sidewalks, and bridges are safe for future generations. We will work on becoming the center of logistics in the Western Hemisphere. We will grow smart start-up companies in Atlanta, making it a vibrant center of technology and innovation.
I want to continue building a city that is inviting to homeowners, businesses large and small, tourists and conventioneers. I want us to be the talk of the nation, for the right reasons.
I love this city and I love my job.
Thank you for giving me another opportunity to serve as Mayor of Atlanta.